Sunday, March 6, 2011

Harlem Renaissance

So far my favorite groups of poems have been from the Harlem Renaissance.  It is not necessarily the content of the poems which I enjoy, but rather the way that when I read that (particularly when I read them out loud) the words flow along.  It seems like I speed up as I read rather than slow down.  I think that a factor in this is due to rhythm and that the words which are chosen tend to be easy to enunciate.  Additionally I liked hearing the poem "Malindy sings," even if it was quite difficult to read. The way that it was written made it seem more like I was listening to someone speak than that the words were coming from some sort of narrative black hole (which is generally how I feel when I am reading books).

No comments:

Post a Comment